Introduction for new pythonistas

edited February 2021 in General

As described in the "Welcome Discussion" it would be nice If everybody would introduce him/herself and tell us something about his background.

I will start :)

My name is Alex, I am 37 years old and live in Germany. I am a professional Software Developer and System Engineer. I love to code, mostly with Python and C++ and sometimes also Java.

I started the "Kickstart My Python" Community, I like to read, learn and teach :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Hey everyone. Myself Mahtab. I'm 20, and I'm from India. I'm a 1st year CS student. I have almost no background in programming. Right now I'm learning C in college, but I wanna pick up another language to have better opportunities in the future. So, I joined this community which I found on Reddit. Hope to learn new and exciting things here.

• edited February 2021

Welcome Mahtab šŸ˜Ž

• Hey Everyone, my name is Will. I am from the UK. I live in London.

I work in a music tech company as an account manager and have interacted with our dev team a lot and feel I would really enjoy a dev role. I actually started by writing Regex scripts for our companies app that checks 'tags' of thousands of files, from there I have been teaching myself python. I have completed PY4E and ATBS both have been instrumental in my fundamental knowledge.

As well as this I have been reading a book called programming logic and design which is a little more abstract and and have been solving problems writing pseudocode, this has looked at the fundamentals of structure, decisions, OOP, UML, event drive GUI's, Modularisation techniques etc.

Lastly I have been making my own projects which automate my admin task at work,

I am really excited to work and grow with others as it has so far been a solo effort!

I also love music, Jungle, Techno and Bass Music šŸ‘Øā€šŸ’»

Best Will

• Hi, my name is Benny and I'm 18 years old. I live in Germany and I am at my last year of school at the moment. I'm really interested in programming, so I already have some experience in Python, but I also have many other interests and hobbies. Among these are for example chemistry and science in general, video games and I also play the violin.

I hope that I learn more about Python with everyone here.

• Hey everyone, my name is Aidan and I'm 25. I'm from South Africa but I'm in France doing my Masters in Business Intelligence and Analytics. I'm actually going to Germany for an internship in June so I can buy you a beer as a thank you Alex :p I've been teaching myself Python for ~5 months now, I'm into data architecture, systems design, security etc aswell.

I'm currently learning some of the more intermediate topics like asyncio and Django. It's been a solo journey so I'm keen to collaborate and learn with everyone.

• Hello Everyone,

Writing from California here. Nice to meet you all!

My name is Tamara, and I am a computational linguist. I have some knowledge of python and use it to automate or short-cut certain tasks at work, which I think is actually really fun.

However, because I don't get to do this often in my present role, and very few people other than myself use my scripts, I don't get the feedback I need re: readability, best practices., structure, etc.

My pythonic learning goals are:

1. writing scripts that are easy to set up and use for non-pythonic colleagues

2. Anything that helps me with my linguist side projects (so web-scraping to get at data, text processing, etc.)

Other than that: I grew up in a large family of Star Trek fans, moved from Germany to California around high school, and forgot to leave again.

I'm happy to meet you all and learn with everyone!

• Welcome Will, Welcome Benny, Welcome Aidan and welcome Tamara šŸ˜Ž

• edited February 2021

Hello all,

I am Shilpa, Signal Processing Engineer from New Jersey . I have beginner level coding experience in C & R programming, but have used MATLAB for most part of education/work in Biometrics and Statistical Analysis. Have experience in embedded systems, IoT devices . Now inclined to extending my career in Machine Learning and AI.

My goal is to practice Machine Learning Algorithms on Python and channel it to C++ later

I am a hobby violinist and I volunteer for non-profits on weekends

Really thrilled to experience Python with everyone ! Good luck

• Welcome Shilpa šŸ™‚

• Hello everyone,

I am AJ, I live in the US and I am in high school. I have been learning Python for fun and have some experience with C++ but, I’m pretty sure I’ve forgotten everything. I guess I should also add that I have a type of Muscular Dystrophy called SMA which basically means I’ve been in a wheelchair since I was born.

My goals for Python are:

• Have a firm understanding of the basics
    • Get into Machine Learning
    • Get into Robotics programming

It’s nice to meet you all and I wish you luck with your careers in programming šŸ˜€

• Hi everyone,

My name is Riley, I am 33, from the US and am a equipment mechanic. beginner in learning to program and have been studying python for about a month now other than that just some basic playing around with arduino's. I enjoy learning and tinkering with things. have found learning electronics and programming helps alot in my field of work so always willing to learn more.

• Hi and a warm welcome to AJ and Riley :)

• Hi All,
    I'm Michael. I'm a clinical health psychologist, I live in the US and have a general nerdy background. Past history of working with R, SAS, and stuff like HTML way back in the day. I really want to write a program (and I kinda have modules but am having difficulty making many parts really work) to automate my report writing. What I really want to do is write a program that uses some simple GUI (like TK, I dont care) that will work primarily on linux, (also would be nice if it worked on Windows, too, but much less important that allows me to:
    -ask five questions, store the response as variables. (the variables are last name, first name, date of testing, date of report, and date of birth). 
    -open a word doc (.docx) Preferable to be a word doc, but I'd gladly settle for a .txt, .rtf, etc.
    - take the aforementioned variables, find and replace where they need to go in the template
    -open a second word document (or a .txt, if that makes it any easier), and put it in a certain place (this is the background document)
    -do the same with a third document (testing document) (.txt. or .docx)
    then create a folder in a specific location titled variable 2, variable 1 (lastname, firstname), then place the file everything was compiled into into that folder. Ideally, the program would eventually do that with a second (much less complex file as well). (This is the note that goes to the referring physician). 
    Every time I ran this program, it would save me about 20-30 minutes of real world time. 

Obviously, I'd still have work to do manually, but I think all of this can be done, I'm merely struggling to get things to work to automate the "rough draft" part of it all. 
  • welcome Michael, if you would like to know about specific python topics supporting your report project, let me know.
  • edited March 2021
    I cannot figure out how to do effectively do find and replace in a .docx file. I have a .docx template and I want to find and replace a term (say "PTFN") in that document with "John". I would like to do that with a few things.
  • Hi everyone, Iā€™m Abigail, but most people call me Abi. Iā€™m 26 and live in London (UK). I am delighted to be joining you from tomorrow onwards. 

Iā€™m currently working as a Computational Linguist, having completed my Masters in Speech & Language Processing at the University of Edinburgh. This was an intensive and multidisciplinary course, mainly focusing on speech synthesis, speech recognition and natural language processing. 

I have some basic knowledge of Python (as well as Bash, R & HTML). I started learning these by teaching myself and built on that foundation with my masters course, where, for example, I used Python for speech synthesis systems and language models. Iā€™m joining this group in order to continue growing my Python abilities as my current job does not involve any real coding and my skills are getting rusty! I hope to move into a more technical role in the future.

My main aims are:

- to become more comfortable with and quicker at solving problems with Python 

- to develop my practical knowledge of machine learning and natural language processing 

- to learn tips that will benefit me when working in production codebases

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow! :) 

• Thanks for the nice introduction Abigail and welcome on board!
  • edited July 2021
    Hi, Im back (from March) and have mostly written the program I mentioned above (March 7). In fact, I have a console based working model, and am trying to write a gui for it using PysimpleGUI. I have the GUI created (looks nice) but I do not understand how to take the input and connect it to my backend console based program. 

in the GUI file, I have a line of code:
    [sg.Text('Patient First Name', size =(20, 1)), sg.InputText(key='input_firstname')], 
    (This code is located in main.py) What I'd like to do is have code essentially pass along the key input_firstname to replace what was:
     firstname = input("What is the patient's first name? ") 
    In my console based program (combine.py). Because I am still so new, I've tried a few things and am unsure of how to do it or where to do it, though I suspect it should be done in the first file before the line: from combine import * Really appreciate any help!